Almost Like Grandpa's ... Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hi! I’m Jamie, Co-founder and Vice President of McNaughton Inc, As you may know, my brother Patrick and I grew up helping out at our Grandparent's Bakery in South Minneapolis. We were spoiled with the smell of fresh baked bread and cookies every time we went to work.
I asked Grandpa one day if he would share his chocolate chip cookie recipe with me. Always so loving and generous, he said he would be happy to, however, it was in the form of POUNDS of flour instead of CUPS of flour, and CUPS of Vanilla instead of TEASPOONS of Vanilla! He told me that in baking, you can't just divide the recipe down into half or quarters, (or in this case...even less). Baking just didn't work that way. I was so disappointed it wasn't something I could make at home, so I set out on my own to create something close to Grandpa's cookies.
Over the years I tweaked the amount of vanilla, then the butter, then the sugar and flour until finally, I created cookies that were melt-in-your-mouth delicious. They aren't quite like Grandpas, I was never able to duplicate his recipes exactly. BUT...after hundreds of batches, this recipe has gotten enough RAVING REVIEWS that I think he would be proud of his Granddaughter's efforts!
I love to bake, it reminds me of being around my Grandparents and their bakery. Whenever there is a potluck or party or when ever my boys have friends over - the biggest request is for these Chocolate Chip Cookies. I love the smiles they bring to the faces devouring them! And so, I wanted to FINALLY share my "Almost like Grandpa's Chocolate Chip Cookie" recipe and spread the smiles!
I have been told that these are "THE Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER" but I can't claim that title. I know there are a lot of great recipes out there. And forever and always, to me, THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe will always be Grandpa's.
Happy Baking & Warmest Regards,
This recipe has been perfected over years of tasty trials, there is no doubt that it just may be one of THE best! In one bite, you get the crunch from the buttery border and the soft texture from the gooey chocolatey inside. This sweet treat goes perfect with a big glass of milk and shared with all of the people you care about. Enjoy and don't forget to add Jamie & her Grandpa's favorite secret ingredient - LOVE
Preheat Oven to 375
1/2 lb (2 Sticks) of unsalted Butter, Softened
¾ cup of Sugar (evaporated cane juice)
¾ brown Sugar, Packed
1 ½ teaspoon Real Vanilla
2 eggs, at one at a time
2 ¼ cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
3-4 cups of LOVE
2 cups of Chocolate Chips
Teaspoon Sized Lumps on the Baking Sheet!
1. Blend butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla together until well mixed and creamy.
2. Crack two eggs, add one at a time.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and LOVE. Stir it together.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture about ¼ cup at a time. (You need a strong hand mixer as the dough gets heavy and stiff)
5. Add 2 cups of chocolate chips and mix evenly.
6. Spoon "Teaspoon Sized" lumps onto ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake the first batch at 375 F (180 C) for 7.5 to 8 minutes until top/middle looks barely done (the key is to NOT over bake or wait until the edges get too brown). For some reason, the first batch takes a little longer.
8. Bake remaining batches at about 7 – 7.5 minutes, watch them.
9. Let cool on tray for 5-10 minutes while you pour some glasses of milk.
To store or share, cover in air-tight container, they only last for a couple days.
Want to add a little fun in your kitchen? Check out our innovative Gadjit Housewares !
Copyright @ 2020 Jamie McNaughton