New TV? Make Sure You Buy a Mount That Fits Your TV!
January 18, 2021
HINT: It Has Nothing To Do With The Screen Size!
Superbowl is right around the corner, all the new series are coming out, we’re all watching TV just a little bit more. Your TV mount is "The Hero Behind the Screen". It’s what allows you to have the perfect viewing angle, it keeps your TV secure, and makes it look nice in your room. That’s why it’s important to buy a mount that fits your TV properly. Watch this Video and read our tips below!
5 Things You Need to Know when Buying a TV Mount:
1. It has nothing to do with the size of the screen— Nope, size does not really matter.
2. Know what the VESA hole pattern is on your TV—you must buy a TV mount with the same VESA pattern as your TV. What is a VESA pattern? In short – it is the pattern of mounting holes on the back of your TV; they are measured in millimeters. Standard patterns are 100x100, 200x200, 400 x 400, etc. (Cheat: 100 millimeters is approximately 4”) For more on VESA Patterns - Read this article…"Will it Fit”.
3. Know how much your TV weighs— TV Mounts have weight capacities – the mount you buy must be able to hold the weight of your TV or you could have a disaster!
4. Know where you will be mounting your TV and how will you be viewing it—
Do you need an articulating mount? Flat Fixed Mount? Tilt and swivel? Consider the area, seating, viewing angles, and traffic flow of the room in deciding what style of mount you need.
For example, if TV is mounted up high, will you want a tilt feature to adjust the viewing angle down? Will you be viewing from different places? Consider an articulating arm with a swivel so you can move the screen towards the different viewing areas. Check to see how far the arm extends out and be sure it is far enough away from the wall to swivel your screen to the right angles.
5. Know you will want a locking mount if your TV will be in a moving vehicle—TVs mounted in a Motor Coach, Bus or Boat, may need to articulate out into a room for best viewing but you will want to be able to lock them back in place against the wallwhile you are on-the-go so your TV does not get damaged or hurt someone in the vehicle if it is swinging around. An articulating mount with a locking arm will keep your TV in place while the vehicle is moving. Locking Mounts are great for trucks and Ice Fishing houses too.
For some reason, the TV Mount industry continues to use screen size to determine what kind of mount you need for a TV. The screen size is a general guideline as to what type of VESA pattern a TV might have. It is not precise or always accurate. Almost every week we get calls from people who have purchased a TV mount somewhere that does not fit their TV! We are on a mission to help consumers buy the right mount the first time! And it really boils down to the VESA pattern, the weight, and the use. Pass it on!
Check out our line of Master Mounts! And for more information on how to Buy a TV Mount That Fits Your TV, check out our helpful video!